Friday 29 April 2011

The Royal Wedding : The Dress

The country's gone Royal Wedding mad, and it's only a couple of hours to the big day. As I watch the TV I can see the queue of guests waiting to get into the Abbey for the main event and really it doesn't look much different to any other wedding. Until you realise that there are 1800 guests and many thousands more across the road crazily waving flags and most likely feeling a little worse for wear after camping out on the pavement for a number of days.

Not being a big fan of the Royals, I can't quite share their enthusiasm, but any excuse for a party is fine by me and I hope everyone has a lovely day. Of course I am looking forward to catching a glimpse of THE DRESS. As someone who sells vintage wedding dresses it is quite an interesting moment as this dress, tipped to be designed by Sarah Burton, creative director of Alexander McQueen, will no doubt have a huge influence on bridal trends for years to come. I think that McQueen is an interesting choice as while the house is known for their stunning, opulent gowns, it is a less conventional choice than I would have expected from a very classically dressed girl like Kate. So we shall wait and see what they have come up with....

In the meantime, I thought I would take a look at some previous royal brides. Kate has quite a lot to live up to!

The Queen Mother marrying King George VI, quite a modest dress by royal standards, in 1922

Princess Diana's insane, OTT mega dress for the showy 1980's

Princess Margaret, possibly the most glamorous Royal,  looking elegant in 1960

The Queen marrying Prince Phillip in 1947. Beautiful lace train

Queen Victoria in 1840
For any brides to be wanting to create a royal feel, here is my selection from our wedding dresses, it's suitably spectacular and fit for a princess!


Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...